Saturday, January 24, 2009

Apparently, I'm smarter than I thought...

A side effect of today's exercise in narcissism that I hadn't forseen: I now have no urge whatsoever to go on and on about myself. I've purged it - it's all out of my system. I don't know how long it will last for, but it's probably a good thing!

The other amusing this is that I keep having to restrain myself from going back and editing the post, or writing a disclaimer along the lines of "Watch out - I'm going to talk about myself for ages and it will be boring!" The old piece of social advice goes tells us that people love to talk about themselves, and I suppose that's true. But it's interesting to try and think of a way to phrase it that might make it interesting to others. I don't think I did that here - it was too thorough, so perhaps next time I'll try and write the most interesting summary of myself that I can in, say, 250 words. That would be a challenge.

In other news, I felt like I should start talking about some of the writing I was doing. "Proper" writing (though who knows what constitutes proper) outside of the blog. I was rather pleased last night - I hit the 100,000 word mark on the story that I'm writing at the moment. This is a good and a bad thing. It's good because, obviously, I've put in a sustained effort (no mean feat given my pathetic attention span) and written an extended story. It's bad because it is definitely not finished yet and I suspect it's going to end up far too long. Though this isn't so awful, because I already knew that it needed a vicious prune, as I was still coming to terms with plot things when I was writing it - a few things are probably now superfluous and can be removed with a minimum of griping on my part. Pleasing.

The grander goal of course (as stated on the Ravelry writers group, so gosh darnit, you know I mean business) was to finish this piece by the end of January. I am now doubtful as to whether or not this is possible, but I'll keep on aiming anyway. It's definitely doable if I get on a roll. And on that note, I'm going to get back to it. 101,319 words and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment